Friday, July 4, 2008

So My Daughter Married A Witch Doctor

This week we watched Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. The film's theme remains controversial to this day. I can imagine how controversial it must have been in 1967. In the process of researching Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, I found out that interracial marriage had been against the law in many states in our nation up until fairly modern times. I was surprised to learn that. I hadn't realized just how prejudiced and closed minded our legislation could be in a time so recent to our own. I have to admit that I'm not as open minded as I like to think I am, but unlike gay marriage, I believe interracial marriage should not be outlawed. People are people and no one race is any better than another. Though everyone likes to think that their race is the best, at the end of the day when everything is said and done, we're all people and we're all in the same boat.

The premise of the film is to show that there's really nothing wrong with interracial marriage so long as the involved parties are willing to deal with the consequences. In order to show this, they made Dr. Prentice's character almost unrealistically perfect and appealing in every way except for the fact that he's black. Which is fine, but there's one thing I don't understand. Why the rush? If they intended to make Dr. Prentice the ideal fiance, then why have them getting married within days of meeting each other? That aspect really takes away from the integrity of his character and diminishes the value of his quality as a fiance. In fact, it makes him rather questionable and suspicious if you take into account the added racial tension. I think if they would have left out the time limitations, it would have been far more effective in portraying Dr. Prentice's character in the intended way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guess_Who's_Coming_to_Dinner

2 comments:

Interracialmatch said...

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish! I registered at the site ++++((((---U K I N T E R R A C I A L M A T C H. C O M))))++++ and found there are thousands of profiles & photos, videos, emails, chat,forum, blogs, winks... Let's meet there if you are a single who is serious about love.

Lilly Buchwitz said...

You're not really following the style and conventions of a movie review in your writing, and you still haven't worked out the technical part of including a link in your post.